Saturday, February 12, 2011

Red Velvet Whoopie Pies


I must say, this being my first Valentine's in the blog world, I just love gawking at all the sweet creations popping up all over the place. I've always enjoyed Valentine's Day because it's a day you show your affection for someone special through fun, thoughtful, and sometimes crafty expressions (of course, I love when those expressions are edible!). And I'm not just talking about showing affection for that romantic someone in your life, but for anyone that is special in your life... family, friends, classmates, teachers, co-workers... anyone that is special to you.

My sister recruited me to bake some yummy treats for my niece and nephew's teachers. Given that my nieces and nephew are my most favorite little people in the entire world, and their educational growth and social development is very important to me (because I want them to grow up to be my most favorite big people in the entire world), I happily agreed to help my sister show her appreciation for those who have a wonderful impact on her kids. I decided to make these adorable heart shaped whoopie pies, and packaged them up in some super cute boxes. It turn out to be a perfect little gift!
These whoopie pies are absolutely delicious! I believe Matt's words when he sampled them were, "These are ridiculous!" Ridiculous being cool terminology for "insanely good". :) I browsed through a couple of recipes for cream cheese filling and finally ended up creating the one below, and it was phenomenal! Once I tried it, I immediately started brainstorming all the wonderful things I could make to include cream cheese filling so that I could have more reasons to make it. :) So. Darn. Good!

Ingredients
Yields 2 dozen whoopie pies
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
8 tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 oz red food coloring

Filling:
8 oz Neufchatel cream cheese, softened
4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
2 1/2 cups confections' sugar
1/2 tbsp clear vanilla extract

Directions
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.

In a small bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream butter on medium-high speed. Add brown sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Reduce speed of mixer to low, gradually beat in half of the flour mixture, then the buttermilk, and then the remaining flour mixture just until incorporated. Do not over beat. Blend in food coloring.

Transfer batter to a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip. Using a heart shaped cookie cutter as your guide, pipe batter onto prepared baking sheets spacing each heart about 1 inch apart.

Bake 7-9 minutes or until tops are set. Cool on wire racks. Remove cooled cookies from baking sheets.

For filling, cream the cream cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl. Gradually add confectioners' sugar. Beat in vanilla.

To assemble, transfer icing to a clean pastry bag fitted with a large round tip. Pair the cookies up according to size. Pipe frosting onto the flat side of one cookie from each pair, leaving a little room around the edges. Sandwich the cookies so that the flat sides are facing each other, pressing gently so that the filling reaches the edge. To store, refrigerate in an airtight container.

Source: adapted from Annie's Eats, originally from Better Homes & Gardens

25 comments:

Amy Bakes Everything on February 12, 2011 at 7:46 PM said...

Yay for red velvet whoopie pies! A Valentine's MUST! This recipe is better than mine - mine come out like a cookie rather than a whoopie pie, will be trying this soon!

Brandie@thecountrycook on February 13, 2011 at 4:26 PM said...

You just cannot go wrong with Whoopie Pies. They are pretty and who doesn't LOVE a cream-filled cake?? Beautiful photos too!!

Dina on February 13, 2011 at 4:58 PM said...

very pretty and festive!

Peggy on February 13, 2011 at 5:14 PM said...

These are too cute! I'm sure you niece and nephew are going to be teacher's pet now! =)

Happy When Not Hungry on February 13, 2011 at 8:15 PM said...

These look so tasty! Thanks for sharing!

icarus on February 13, 2011 at 11:16 PM said...

These are so cute and romantical! Yum!

A Bowl Of Mush on February 13, 2011 at 11:17 PM said...

Wow these are so beautiful! Very romantic :)

cocoa and coconut on February 14, 2011 at 8:52 AM said...

Gorgeous! I love the shape - of course, it's perfect for V day.

Kate @ Diethood.com on February 14, 2011 at 11:46 AM said...

Oh how adorable! Happy Valentine's Day!!

Congrats on Top 9!

Pudding Pie Lane on February 14, 2011 at 12:23 PM said...

I totally agree! I baked biscuits for all of my friends this Valentine's day - just something to show we care! The whoopie pies look delicious!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, my guys love these. Your Sis told me about them - going to have to try them next year. Congrat's on your ranking!
Happy Baking and Valentine's Day! Nancy & the boys

Matt @ FaveDiets on February 14, 2011 at 2:17 PM said...

This looks like such a wonderful recipe. I'd love it if you would be willing to share this on my blog hop! http://www.favedietsblog.com/announcing-the-first-favediets-blog-hop/

Claire Gallam on February 14, 2011 at 2:29 PM said...

These are, quite possibly, the cutest things I've ever seen!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking on February 14, 2011 at 4:30 PM said...

Lindsey, these whoopie pies are just adorable! You have a beautiful blog and I'm so glad to have found it. I'm looking forward to exploring your recipes and seeing more! Happy Valentine's Day! :) - Georgia

thecoffeebreak on February 14, 2011 at 5:13 PM said...

They look absolutely amazing, love your photos as well!

Kat @ Cupcake Kat on February 14, 2011 at 11:18 PM said...

Beautiful whoopie pies. Perfect for V-Day

Sherry G on February 14, 2011 at 11:19 PM said...

I had planned to make these for my special someone for today, but ran out of time! Luckily it was the thought th at counts with him and now we plan on making them together!

Lynn on February 15, 2011 at 2:32 PM said...

Lovely!! I enjoy seeing your creations. I am paying it forward and wanted to share this stylish blogger award with you. Redeem here: http://sprinklesofflavor.blogspot.com/2011/02/french-breakfast-puffs-aka-baked.html

Mateja ^_^ on February 15, 2011 at 5:05 PM said...

I never made a whoopie pies before, maybe it is time to try bake some! Your are just gorgeous, thank you for sharing :)

Cristina - Teenie Cakes on February 15, 2011 at 8:50 PM said...

So pretty how you packaged these whoopie pies and the heart shape they retained. Your favorite little people sure have an Auntie that loves them...beautifully done and presented. ;)

Cakewhiz on February 16, 2011 at 3:19 PM said...

I am impressed with how deep that shade of red is! Just beautiful! Your nephew and niece are very lucky :)

Treat and Trick on February 16, 2011 at 11:03 PM said...

Such a gorgeous and yummy pies! Love its shape and color....

Tina | My Life as a Mrs on February 21, 2011 at 1:32 PM said...

how cute are those!! :)

Rachel on February 28, 2011 at 10:52 PM said...

Lindsey - These are beautiful! How did I miss these??? I keep seeing whoopie pies pop up everywhere; I have to try these out.

And the boxes -- LOVE THEM! Where did you get them from?

Lindsey on March 1, 2011 at 10:43 PM said...

Hi Rachel! I bought the boxes from Michaels. They had them with their Valentine's Day decor.

Post a Comment

 

Burn Me Not Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice