Monday, February 21, 2011

Coconut Cupcakes


My order of girl scout cookies came in last week. Within seconds I opened my first box and bit into the delightfullness of a Samoa. Heaven! Instantly my mind flipped into baking mode... it was time for me to incorporate the great flavors of a Samoa cookie into a cupcake. I'm sure this has probably been done many times before me, but I didn't bother googling it because I knew what I wanted to make and didn't want another recipe to alter the direction I was headed in... coconut cupcake, topped with chocolate ganache, frosted with toasted coconut caramel icing, drizzled with more chocolate ganache. Tah dah! A coconut cupcake inspired by my favorite girl scout cookie. Yum. :)
What shall I try next? Lemon Chalet truffles? Thin Mint brownies? Do-Si-Do trifle? Tagalongs pie? Oh the possibilities... :)

Ingredients
Yields 12 cupcakes
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
12 tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup buttermilk
3.5 oz sweetened, shredded coconut

Chocolate Ganache:
3.5 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup light cream

Icing:
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
1/2 cup light cream
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup  sweetened, shredded coconut

Directions
Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a standard muffin pan with cupcake liners; set aside. 

In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. With mixer on low speed, add eggs one at a time, scrape down sides of the bowl as needed. Add vanilla and almond extracts and mix well. Add half the flour mixture, then buttermilk, and finish with adding the remaining flour mixture. Mix just until combined. Fold in shredded coconut.

Fill prepared muffin cups three fourths full. Bake 25-35 minutes, until tops are golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.

For ganache, heat cream in a small sauce pan until bubbles appear around the edges. Place chocolate in a small bowl. Pour scalding cream over the chocolate. Let stand 5 minutes, then stir until smooth. Refrigerate until cold, stirring occasionally.

For icing, toast coconut in a large skillet over medium heat until lightly browned; set aside. Whisk together sugar, cream, and butter in a double boiler over simmering water. Cook until thickened, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Let stand 5 minutes, stir in coconut and cool completely. 

To assemble, spoon a small amount of ganache on top of cupcake. Let the ganache set before adding the icing (icing is a bit runny so don't add too much). Drizzle with remaining ganache.

Source: cupcake adapted from Ina Garten, ganache and icing adapted from Martha Stewart

29 comments:

Kim - Liv Life on February 22, 2011 at 12:10 AM said...

I didn't like coconut until a few years ago. My neighbor brought me a cake for my birthday and didn't know that I didn't eat it and it was the most beautiful coconut cake I'd ever seen! I had to just eat it, and WOW! It was beyond amazing. So I'm officially a convert... these will do the trick nicely!

Sandra on February 22, 2011 at 12:55 AM said...

I love coconut...this looks so delicious, and perfect!!!

All That's Left Are The Crumbs on February 22, 2011 at 2:24 AM said...

I am a big fan of coconut and these look delicious!

Blog is the New Black on February 22, 2011 at 6:10 AM said...

Love your take on this!!! :)

Unknown on February 22, 2011 at 8:35 AM said...

Coconut, ganache, and more coconut frosting, I'm in heaven! I want one of those!
Thanks for sharing.

Carolyn on February 22, 2011 at 9:02 AM said...

I don't know if this has been done before or not, but it's brilliant! Just brilliant.

Unknown on February 22, 2011 at 9:04 AM said...

I made Samoas this week too! YUM!!!

Anonymous said...

You have no idea how much I love Samoas (or Caramel delights as they were called when I was a girl scout)...I cannot even imagine how delicious these cupcakes are! YUM

Brian @ howtobaker on February 22, 2011 at 12:10 PM said...

Coconut, caramel and ganache...what isn't to love? I know how you feel about wanting to make something without the idea being tainted by other recipes. I often go through the same process...usually with a 50-50 chance of success at the end but at least it's fun to experiment with new ideas!

Belinda @zomppa on February 22, 2011 at 1:01 PM said...

Brilliant. One of my favorite Girl Scout cookies. Tagalongs next, please!

Christina on February 22, 2011 at 3:46 PM said...

These look amazing! What a great idea for a cupcake!

Steph on February 22, 2011 at 5:01 PM said...

Coconut is so so yummy. Then when you put it in a cupcake and drizzle some chocolate it becomes something that words cannot describe! YUM!

briarrose on February 22, 2011 at 5:13 PM said...

Wonderful cupcake flavor...I so love that girl scout cookie.

Mateja ^_^ on February 22, 2011 at 5:38 PM said...

Yummy creation! Thank you for sharing :)

Happy When Not Hungry on February 22, 2011 at 6:40 PM said...

These cupcakes look amazing! Love coconut. Yum!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake on February 22, 2011 at 8:21 PM said...

Oh boy, my favorite Girl Scout cookie in cupcake form!!! Marvelous!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm ready for Girl Scout cookies...and a few of these cupcakes please :)

kita on February 23, 2011 at 12:01 AM said...

Oh! Im just recently discovering my love of coconut. These sound like they are a must try - and soon!

Winelady Cooks on February 23, 2011 at 9:55 AM said...

What a delicious combination, brillant! I love coconut and of course chocolate with anything is just about the best ever. I'll have to give these cupcakes a try.

Thanks so much for sharing,
Joanne

Kate @ Diethood.com on February 23, 2011 at 10:50 AM said...

Oh my word, beautiful! What a great idea! These must have been ammmmmazing... lucky those that got to eat them up!

Becky on February 23, 2011 at 1:51 PM said...

Like Carolyn said, "Just Brilliant!" I love all of those flavors in that cupcake, and I'm sure that they tasted as good as they look.

Christina of Form V Artisan on February 23, 2011 at 6:28 PM said...

Oooo nice. I like this!

Harvesting for Life on February 23, 2011 at 10:21 PM said...

My favorite cookie made into a cupcake... Can the world get any better?!?!? Yum! I think you just became my new best friend with this recipe! ;-)

Brandie@thecountrycook on February 24, 2011 at 11:08 AM said...

This is just one of the best ideas ever. I love it!! And I know a couple of folks who would just go nuts for these!!

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking on February 25, 2011 at 2:45 PM said...

Mmmm, I love coconut and I'm sure I would love these cupcakes if I made them... Wonderful recipe, Lindsey! Have a great weekend.

Claudie on February 26, 2011 at 8:31 PM said...

Wow. Those are some of the most delicious looking cupcakes I've seen. I love how you've topped them with the coconut and remaining ganache!

Unknown on February 28, 2011 at 2:26 PM said...

::sigh:: we just about fought over our box of Samoas. This looks like it might keep family harmony and cost less. Many thanks!

Stephanie on March 2, 2011 at 10:10 PM said...

You are a genius! I have been contemplating making homemade Girl Scout cookies and cupcake versions but haven't gotten around to it. I'm bookmarking this for later!

Unknown on March 8, 2011 at 10:45 PM said...

That looks wonderful. I love love samosas.

Post a Comment

 

Burn Me Not Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice